EU Pre-settled status

The EU Settlement Scheme consists of:


Settled status


Pre-settled status

Settled status is currently being considered for those who have continuously resided in the UK for at least 5 years. From 24 August 2020, the period of residence an applicant can rely upon for eligibility under the EU settlement scheme can be from past, as well as current, residence within the UK. Pre-settled status can be granted in all other cases with the possibility of obtaining settled status at a later date within the above-mentioned guidelines.

Settled and pre-settled status reflects the residence rights that EU citizens currently have under EU free movement rules.

Under these EU rules, you generally need to reside in a country 5+ years before acquiring permanent residence.

If you do not have 5 years continuous residence when you apply, you should apply for pre-settled status. This protects your rights to live, work and access services and received benefits if you are eligible for them. You must have started living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

You can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date you get pre-settled status.

You can then apply to change this to settled status once you have 5 years continuous residence. You must do this before your pre-settled status expires.

If you will reach 5 years continuous residence at some point by 31 December 2020, you can choose to wait until then to apply for settled status. You will not need pre-settled status first. Your application for settled status must be undertaken before 30 June 2021.

Your rights with pre-settled status

You will be able to:


work in the UK


use the NHS


enrol in education or continue studying


access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you are eligible


travel in and out of the UK

Our fees start at £175 + VAT (if applicable) for a one hour meeting in person or via video link.