This information has been update as of 30 July 2020
If you are in the UK and your leave expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 July 2020, your visa will be extended to 31 July 2020 if you cannot leave the UK because of travel restrictions or self-isolation related to coronavirus (COVID-19).
Individuals affected must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team (CIT) via: CIH@homeoffice.gov.uk to update their records if their visa is expiring and they are not planning to stay in the UK in the long term.
They should provide:
- Home Office reference number (if known)
- GWF reference number (if known)
- VAF reference number (if known)
- Full name (include any middle names)
- Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Recent valid passport number
- Type of visa held
- Place where the visa was issued
- Date when the visa was granted & when it expires
- Their daytime contact telephone number
- Reason for being unable to leave the UK
The Home Office will be in contact when the request is received and when their visa has been extended.
If you have already had your visa extended to 31 May 2020 your visa will be extended automatically to 31 July 2020.
Please note this has not been written into law and at this moment it is not clear whether the extra stay will be covered by the immigration health surcharge. There will be no new BRP card issued for this extension. Therefore, it is very important for employers to keep records of when an email was sent to the Home Office to protect against any illegal working penalties.