Spouse Visa Application Lawyers UK

At Migrate UK, we know how important it is to you that your application for a spouse visa (officially known as a Family visa: applying as a partner/spouse in the UK) is successful.

If you and your spouse are looking to join one another in the UK, you may be feeling daunted by the complex application process and demanding evidence requirements involved in securing a visa. You may feel unsure about where to start and concerned about the financial and emotional costs of making an error.

We can provide expert guidance throughout the process so that you can begin your new life together in the UK as soon as possible. Speak to our friendly team today for more information.

Company Formation in Spain
Company Lawyers in Spain

What is a spouse visa?

A spouse visa allows someone who is married to an individual settled in the UK to join them in the country. The settled person must be a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

What requirements must be met to obtain a spouse visa?

To secure a spouse visa, you must meet the following requirements:


You and your partner must be at least 18 years old;


You must be legally married or in a legal civil partnership (note that for
the Family visa – applying as a spouse or partner, you can also be in a cohabiting relationship for 2+ years);


You must have met one another in person;


You must intend to live together permanently;


You must have suitable accommodation;


You must satisfy the English language requirements;


You must satisfy certain financial requirements.

Your financial situation

You and your spouse must have enough money to support yourselves, and any dependents, without having to rely on public funds. The sponsoring partner must be earning at least £18,600 per year, or between you you must have savings of over £62,500. In some scenarios, you can meet the requirements through a combination of income and savings.

If you have dependents to support, the requirements are higher.

How long does a spouse visa last?

If you are applying from outside the UK, your visa will last for two years and nine months. During this time, you can work, study, volunteer and leave and re-enter the country.

Switching to this visa

If you switch to this visa from within the UK, it will last for two years and six months. 

Can a spouse visa be extended or renewed?

 You can apply to extend your visa for a further two years and six months, provided you still have a genuine and subsisting relationship with your partner, and you continue to meet the financial requirements. 

Can I apply for indefinite leave to remain?

Once you have held your spouse visa for five years, you can submit an application for indefinite leave to remain.

Spouse Visa UK Application Lawyers – Contact Migrate UK Today

Applications for spouse visas are rigorously scrutinised by the Home Office. With your future together at stake, it is vital your application is as thorough and persuasive as possible.

At Migrate UK, we are specialists in helping spouses and civil partners to join one another in the UK. We can prepare an effective, carefully evidenced spouse visa application on your behalf and provide expert assistance throughout the process. For guidance on your situation, call us on 01235 841 568 or complete our online contact form.

Want to know more?

For further information regarding Spouse Visa Applications, do not hesitate to contact us.